Do you find errors too late, after clients and customers have already noticed them? No more cringing in embarrassment!
In this practical, interactive course, you will learn the techniques that professional proofreaders use to ensure error-free documents. You will be able to apply them to your emails, reports, letters, web pages, and other communications.
You Will Learn To:
- Find errors in formatting, consistency, spelling, word choice, and content, as well as typos, transpositions, and missing words.
- Apply proofreading best practices to increase the accuracy of the materials you produce.
- Recognize bad practices and unconscious habits that lead to overlooked errors.
- Use job aids to sharpen your skills and your attention to detail.
How You Will Learn
After a warm-up to get your proofreading juices flowing, you will learn through short interactive presentations in which you will hear and see best practices illustrated. Then you will apply them yourself in six progressively more challenging proofreading practices. You will see the instructor’s solutions and review the reasons for the corrections.
Your learning materials in Proofread Like a Pro include two proofreading checklists, 12 best practices, six proofreading test exercises, procedures for fine-tuning your grammar and spelling checker, and four articles to reinforce and extend your learning.
What Students Are Saying
"The Proofread Like a Pro practice sessions were fantastic. They reminded me to slow down and take my time. They were also a good reminder to read everything and stop expecting things to be correct (e.g., spelling, acronyms, etc.).”
—Anna Osada Elder, Senior Marketing Coordinator, Engineering Consulting Firm
- Proofreading Warm-Up FREE PREVIEW
- Technical Information on Presentations FREE PREVIEW
- Presentation: How to Master Proofreading FREE PREVIEW
- Worksheet: Proofreading Best Practices FREE PREVIEW
- Presentation: Proofreading Best Practices FREE PREVIEW
- Proofreading Practices 1-6, Microsoft Word Version
- Proofreading Practices 1-6, PDF Version
- Worksheet: Proofread All Content, Word version
- Worksheet: Proofread All Content, PDF
- Tool, Proofreading Checklists
- Presentation: Review All Content for Correctness and Consistency
- Worksheet: Proofreading Practice 2
- Presentation: Proofreading Practice 2
- Worksheet: Proofreading Practice 3
- Presentation: Proofreading Practice 3
Business Writing Expert
About the Instructor
Rachel Jones is an Online Instructor, Writer, and Teacher.
As an Online Instructor for both Brigham Young University - Idaho and then BYU Pathway Worldwide, Rachel has been teaching writing at the collegiate level for over seven years. She has experience with diverse groups, helping students around the world master the English language and feel comfortable with writing principles. Additionally, she has taught life skills courses and is trained in working with students who speak English as a second language. Rachel has also spent several semesters as a teaching supervisor, helping other instructors maximize the potential of their courses to benefit students and produce positive results in their classrooms.
She knows her subject well.
Rachel creates content actively for several clients, in addition to her own creative writing ventures. As an award-winning writer, Rachel has a passion for Literary Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction. She believes that her creative writing helps her stay sharp for writing professional content that connects well with audiences.
With experience in graphic design and web design, Rachel is able to easily combine well-crafted messages with an aesthetic appeal. She translates her powerful storytelling abilities into visual messages that maintain their strong impact.
Content is Key.
Rachel has a talent for motivating others, and uses her knowledge of servant leadership to create strong teams – teams that produce quality work. With 5 years of corporate management experience, she’s acquired experience in managing major projects and coordinating marketing events. She has a unique gift for evaluating management processes, quickly identifying holes and finding long-term solutions.
Rachel has a passion for helping other writers improve, and enjoys delivering content that exceeds client expectations.
Original Courses created by Lynn Gaertner-Johnston.