Tune up your business writing!
Do you want to get better results from your writing?
In this course get tips, strategies, practice, tools, and feedback to quickly improve your communication and confidence.
Why “Tune-Up”? Because writing is a vehicle. Vehicles need ongoing maintenance, effective repairs, and easy-to-use tools to maintain performance. Learn from an expert how you can adjust your writing to continue to get great results.
This course is for you if you want to fine-tune your performance as a business communicator. If you write anything from email, reports, and letters to proposals, policies, and procedures. Business Writing Tune-Up will help you achieve your goals. (The course does not focus on creative writing such as scripts and advertising pieces.)
In the course, you apply the writing tips, tools, and strategies to your own writing and to common examples. You can take as much time as you need in a lesson. Just complete the course within 90 days of your registration.
- Use a strategy to plan and write any document. Know where to start every time.
- Get results by following best practices for email etiquette and efficiency.
- Eliminate extra words that slow readers down.
- Break up long, stringy sentences for quick understanding.
- Use formatting to highlight your key content.
- Recognize when and how to change from passive to active voice verbs.
- Use positive language to build relationships and defuse potential conflict.
- Choose the right language for any audience, including global readers.
- Recognize and eliminate common errors and bad writing habits.
You will work through 22 interactive lessons to tune up your writing. When you finish, you will complete three assignments that require formatting, revising, and writing from scratch, respectively. You will be able to compare your versions to sample solutions.
When you are ready, you will plan, write, and edit a piece of your own writing, applying what you have learned. Rachel will give you detailed, specific written feedback to help you recognize your strengths, and she will suggest things to do to make your writing even better.
Your learning materials in Business Writing Tune-Up include:
- 32-page course notebook
- Writer-to-Reader Planning Checklist
- 12-Point Editing Checklist
- 30-item online test on grammar, punctuation, and usage
- 5 resource articles
- PDF of the 292 slides featured in the presentations
Once you register, you will have 90 days to complete the course.
Good writing leads to great things. Enroll in Business Writing Tune-Up, and improve your writing immediately!
What Students Are Saying
- Your Planning and Editing Checklist
- Editing Checklist Point 1: State Your Purpose
- Editing Checklist Points 2 & 3: Ask for Action, Make It Easy
- Editing Checklist Points 4 & 5: Answer Reader Questions
- Editing Checklist Point 6: Format for Easy Retrieval
- Editing Checklist Point 7: Use Clear Language
- Editing Checklist Point 8: Communicate in Clear Sentences
- Editing Checklist Point 9: Eliminate Extra Words
- Editing Checklist Point 9 Exercise: Cut Through Thick Writing
- Editing Checklist Point 10: Use Active Verbs Primarily
- Editing Checklist Point 10: Practice Making Passive Verbs Active
- Editing Checklist Point 11: Use Positive Language
- Editing Checklist Point 12: Use Correct Grammar, Punctuation, and Spelling
- Test on Errors in Grammar, Punctuation, and Usage
Business Writing Expert
About the instructor
Rachel Jones is an Online Instructor, Writer, and Teacher.
As an Online Instructor for both Brigham Young University - Idaho and then BYU Pathway Worldwide, Rachel has been teaching writing at the collegiate level for over seven years. She has experience with diverse groups, helping students around the world master the English language and feel comfortable with writing principles. Additionally, she has taught life skills courses and is trained in working with students who speak English as a second language. Rachel has also spent several semesters as a teaching supervisor, helping other instructors maximize the potential of their courses to benefit students and produce positive results in their classrooms.
She knows her subject well.
Rachel creates content actively for several clients, in addition to her own creative writing ventures. As an award-winning writer, Rachel has a passion for Literary Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction. She believes that her creative writing helps her stay sharp for writing professional content that connects well with audiences.
With experience in graphic design and web design, Rachel is able to easily combine well-crafted messages with an aesthetic appeal. She translates her powerful storytelling abilities into visual messages that maintain their strong impact.
Content is Key.
Rachel has a talent for motivating others, and uses her knowledge of servant leadership to create strong teams – teams that produce quality work. With 5 years of corporate management experience, she’s acquired experience in managing major projects and coordinating marketing events. She has a unique gift for evaluating management processes, quickly identifying holes and finding long-term solutions.
Rachel has a passion for helping other writers improve, and enjoys delivering content that exceeds client expectations.
Original Courses created by Lynn Gaertner-Johnston.